Connect with me on Google+

Sunday, 23 May 2010

Implied Lines


Part I

From the following 2 photographs that were in the course materials, find implied lines showing them as a sketch.


http://www.oca-uk.com/

I’ve marked on the images what I felt were the implied lines. In the Bullfighter image there is a line created by the cape in the Matadors left hand extending movement of this cape to his rear, but I would suggest that the more dominant line through the image is from the extension of movement (from the dust and movement of capes) of the bull towards the cape in the Matadors right hand and the sweeping motion of this cape around to the right as he pulls the cape from the path of the bull. I think the horizontal of the barrier in the background gives further context to the image, but I think also draws the eye from left to right, that strengthen the direction of the bull and cape (towards the right). Finally in my mind, the Matador’s eye-line towards the head of the bull as he follows it around.

In the photograph my Gotthard Schuh, I felt that I identified a number of implied lines; the eye line of the man controlling the horses, drawing you towards the horses, but then we have the diagonal eye line of the horses drawing my eye to the right of the image and past the man. For me the horse’s eye line combined with the implied extension of movement and direction of the horses (curving towards the bottom right of the frame) makes up the dominate direction line. I also think the man’s opposing eye line (with direction of horses) creates a contrast for the eyes to move between, further adding to the feeling of movement.


Part II

Find 3 photographs of your own and perform the same analysis


Image1

18mm f/3.8 1/97 sec ISO 200

http://grahambakerphotography.com/

The positioning of the heads creates the direction of the eye lines towards the mini board game; with eyes looking down adding strength to these lines too. The child’s arm touching the board also creates a line to direct us towards it, but I think the eye lines have dominance over it.

Image2

18mm f/8 1/160 sec ISO 200
     http://grahambakerphotography.com/

Taken during a trip to the Brecon Beacons (just hiking up from Storey Arms car park); the lines in this photograph is about lines that ‘point’. The lines that are created by the contrasting stones and earth of the path, and grass, are the dominating lines. They work with the extension of movement (created by the walker) and the sense of movement strengthened by the shallow curve of the path  away from the bottom of the frame (and away from us). There are other pointing lines too, the diagonal ridge line (left to right) draws us to the walker; even the dark trees top right in the frame, create a diagonal line to the head of the walker. I think these lines added with the near ‘rule of thirds’ makes it pretty clear what we are being directed to.

Image3

18mm f/3.8 1/100 sec ISO 200

http://grahambakerphotography.com/

I think the chocolate chick contrast to it’s background and its centre position, makes it stand out a lot, drawing the eye to it; however the extension of both arms (lines) as well as the implied eye line draws you to the larger egg, creating a sort of tension in the frame.


Part III

Plan and take 2 further photographs and perform the same analysis


Eye-Line

45mm f/5.6 1/180 sec ISO 100

http://grahambakerphotography.com/

I also played around with the crop just for fun to see how the impact changed;http://grahambakerphotography.com/

I took a lot of the points and lines shots on the same day, and this one was a nice example of the use of eye lines. There is an implied line between 2 points anyway (see relationship between points) but this is strengthened by the eye lines of the dogs toward each other.

http://grahambakerphotography.com/

 

This version was from the earlier relationship between points exercise, I’ve added it here to show the eye line in that image too; just because I liked the expression on the dogs face.

http://grahambakerphotography.com/

Lines that Point

18mm f/5.6 1/45 sec ISO 100

http://grahambakerphotography.com/

I was lucky with this shot. I was trying to use the line of the path to ‘point’ towards my dog, however the bright light through the trees behind created this great shadow that just happened to point and lead my eyes directly at her, along with the diagonal path line behind her also directs the eye towards the dog, however the tree shadow is by far the more the dominant line.

Extension of a line

35mm f/10 1/45 sec ISO 100

http://grahambakerphotography.com/

I know, I know the exercise was for only 2 images but it’s my blog and I didn’t want to leave this one out or replace any of the others (taken on the same day as the previous image). Although the focus is drawn to the centre composition on the girl (point - light contrasted on dark) associated as being static, the image also contains some strong diagonals created by the railing and the shadow on the steps. I feel that these lines extend into the space in front of the girl and in turn draws the eye forward into the frame. Along with these lines and the extension of movement of the girl moving away from us into the same space, adds animation to the photograph.


Although in my mind I think I understood the feelings of movement, direction and animation it wasn’t  always as easy to articulate what I was trying to demonstrate in these exercises, hopefully anyone reading will understand where I was coming from.


No comments:

Post a Comment