Connect with me on Google+

Thursday, 18 March 2010

Object in different positions in the frame

For this exercise the idea was to find a clear subject (in my case a bench) within an even background (Not as even as I would have hoped but I think it still demonstrates the exercise principles). The idea then was to take a series of shots where I place the subject (within the viewfinder) into a different position of the frame.

Notes:

The Weather was overcast and cold, but little wind. The location was a wooded park area, where I chose a bench as my subject within the frame. You will notice that the camera data was the same in all images, however I shot in Aperture priority with a middle of the road f-stop of 8, leaving the camera to set the rest, but as the light was fairly constant and I made no other changes all shots appeared to be the same exposure.


Image1

18mm f/8 1/30 sec ISO 100

http://grahambakerphotography.com/The first shot was to be taken without thinking too much about composition or the position in the frame. Naturally I centred on the subject and took this shot. This was to be my baseline for the rest of the exercise. However the next shot to be take after was suggested as being with the subject right in the middle. As my quick baseline shot was already this, I just continued with the exercise without taking the same shot again. I think it is clear what the subject is and the image feels balanced, but there is no tension to it and not very interesting (well as interesting as a bench can be!)

Note: The rest of the images are in order of my personal preference and not the order in which I took them.

Image2

18mm f/8 1/30 sec ISO 100

http://grahambakerphotography.com/Compared to the baseline image1 this (image2) and next (image3) to me are the most comfortable to look at. With this image the bench sort of follows the rule of thirds (covered later in the course). There is room for the subject and it’s easy to relate to the background, the dark trees in the background (and the large tree to the right third of the image)  creates more interest in the image but at the same time because the bench is placed more towards the foreground there is still no doubt to what the subject is, keeping a degree of dominance albeit tensed with the tree on the right . I found my eye moving back and forward to the bench and this tree, further adding interest

Image3

18mm f/8 1/30 sec ISO 100

http://grahambakerphotography.com/

It may seem odd that I like this image still as the bench is central, albeit closer to the bottom edge. I still find it comfortable though, as the is a sort of symmetrical balance along the landscape perspective. The background has  become more prominent, taking up more of the image, but again the bench holds its own with my eye moving to the bench first then back and forward between the detailed trees and the bench again.

Image4

18mm f/8 1/30 sec ISO 100

http://grahambakerphotography.com/When I put these images in order of preference it doesn’t mean I dislike like this image! Because I do. However With the large tree in the background now central to the image the bench has lost a certain amount of the dominance that in the previous 2 images. My eye still moves from the tree to the bench but it’s more of an image of a tree with a bench close by. Where as the others are here is a ‘bench’ with trees in the background…I hope that makes sense.

Image5

18mm f/8 1/30 sec ISO 100

http://grahambakerphotography.com/The bench is dominant in the image, and is sort of within the rule of third range, however the relationship between the bench and surrounding doesn’t work for me. The tree in the background feels more of a distraction rather adding tension plus the foreground lacks any detail with no mass and no interest.

Image6

18mm

f/8

1/30 sec

ISO 100

http://grahambakerphotography.com/Similar  to image5, the foregrounds lack of interest doesn’t balance well with the bench. The image holds no interest for me and I find the bush and white ‘thing’ to the left all very distracting.


A useful exercise to get me thinking more about the placement of subjects in the frame, especially where the setting is important to what I’m trying to capture.

I learnt to consider the placement of a subject and relationship of that placement within the foreground and background should be what is best for what I’m trying to show i.e where I place the subject can effect the dominance of the subject and thereby effect the perception and balance of the overall image.

Also that following ‘rules’ of photography may not necessarily result in an ideal image or create the perception we want the image to have. This of course is all subjective.


No comments:

Post a Comment