Connect with me on Google+

Thursday, 28 January 2010

Introductions

Hello and welcome to my Blog!

Before I get started; and should be no surprise, Grumpy Bear is not my real name! ‘Grumpy Bear’ is just an affectionate nickname from my family that I use as an alias when working on the internet from time to time. My real name is Graham and I’m happy to be called either.

I’ve never considered myself as a creative person but over the past couple of years, I started to take more of an interest in taking photographs of friends and family; the usual holiday snaps and special occasion type of thing with a standard point-and-shoot compact digital camera. Being a bit of a gadget fan I started to get interested in the technology of the cameras and sharing my images online as I took more photos.

Then last year I bought my first DSLR camera; A Canon EOS 450D. After reading the manual, telling myself I would play around with all the settings and get to grips with ‘Photography Lore’, I promptly put the camera on Auto and carried on where I left off!

However while browsing the magazine shelves (and before you think it; not the top shelf!) I bought a camera magazine. In it were some simple tips for getting more from a DSLR. This sparked my interest again and I started to research the internet for photography courses. Being a shift worker though, meant it was difficult to find a basic entry level course that I could commit to on a regular basis and that’s when I started to look at online courses. Eventually I decided on an introductory course with the Open University.

That was the real beginning for me; I was finally getting inspiration on what to take, I was learning more about camera settings, post-processing and some basic composition. The course however was only 10 weeks and at the end I was left feeling that I wanted to go deeper and develop more creatively; something that  I’ve never considered before. I was hooked.

With a bit of research I found the Open College of Arts and was immediately drawn to the Art of Photography course, which ticked all the boxes of what I was looking for. As well as that  I’ve had to deal with a recent family tragedy and felt it was the right time to start a new positive outlet.

I’m now ready to go, waiting for my course materials and have my Canon EOS 450D and Kodak C713 Zoom Digital at the ready.I’m not sure if I’m going to go on and build courses towards a Degree, but what I hope is that this will be a challenging but rewarding experience that I can share with my family and friends.

Graham.

2 comments:

  1. You've got off to a good start there, bet you cant wait for your stuff to arrive. Look forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did T189 back in 2008 and I've gradually gone from a compact to bridge camera and now the Canon 450D. I've been doing TAOP since last March and you will really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete